Sunday, July 26, 2009

24th of July Festivities

This past weekend we went to our yearly pioneer festivities for the 24th of July. This year it was held in Pima, Az. We left friday and traveled up to Thatcher for good old family fun with the Layton, and Claridge side of my family. We were able to see the progress of the new Gila Valley Temple, it is going up so fast, they already have one side of the wall done, and they are almost finished with the new church building that is going in right next to it. It is already gorgeous!!! We got to eat at El Charro, our once a year outing to eat there!!! YUM! On Saturday morning the Claridge Family was taking family pictures before Clinton (the youngest kid gets his mission call and has to leave), so Scott and I went to be in the background taking pictures, while the professional photographer was taking pictures. Scott wanted to try out the new Lens that I bought him for his birthday! He took the above photo of my cousins, it turned out really well!!
I got to see my sister this past weekend. She is getting so big, she has 11 more weeks to go before little Peanut gets to come out. I also got to feel her kick Leslie. It is the coolest feeling to talk to her and have her kick at you. Leslie is getting so excited to become a mother!!!!
I sat outside with Kate and April to watch the storm come in on the mountain before we went to the parade and fireworks and entertainment. We had a lot of fun singing church songs. It is not a good 24th of July unless you get a storm to cool off the valley, so that the festivities are more bearable. This has become such an awesome memory for Scott and I every year. We love the small town feel that the 24th festivities have, and We get to see people that we both know from Mesa and in the Gila Valley!
(right outside my Aunt Marilyn's front door, a storm coming in on Mt. Graham)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like it was a lot of fun. Glad you were able o be with family. Happy Birthday to Scott, a few days early.I'll tell him again on your bday post to him.

Ryan and Shannon Rapier said...

Sooooo glad you both came! Scott, you owe me a game. Sorry we never got a chance to play...until we meet again! Thanks so much for the disc. That was very sweet!
Shannon

Marie & Richard Daines said...

I like the pics that your new lens takes Scott. You'll have to show me later. Maybe my husband can borrow it. I would like to see some lighting pics.

Emme said...

What a fun way to spend the 24th. I spent it coming back for a week at girls camp. I did end it nicely though. We sat in Elyse's hot tub and watched the fireworks. Ahhhhhh. Brandelyn was an adult chaperon for her stakes Youth Conference. They spent the 24th celebrating it in Kirkland!!! Love you guys.

Aaron and Amber said...

Glad you guys had fun out of town and all is going well with the fam. Leslie looks so little to be only a couple of months away- she looks like she has a little ball in her tummy :). I will be excited to see her at her shower when she is only a few weeks away.
That storm coming over the mtn looks really cool- in many ways.

Scott said...

Shannon, don't worry we got plenty of time to play the game !!!!!