Thursday, April 9, 2009

My Oh My, Grandmother Layton turns 83!!!

My Grandmother turned 83 on April 3, 2009. We received an email back in Januaryish that Shannon was going to throw a surprise birthday party for my grandmother. Scott and I decided that we were going to go. We received more emails throughout the months leading up to the party. We were so excited because all of my family on the Layton side was going to be there. My Uncle Keith drove in from California, Uncle Larry and Aunt Lori drove from texas, Christie and Jennifer flew from Texas. So, Friday came and both Scott and I were able to get the day off ( on a side note Scott has found a job through a temp agency, thanks to Delbert, it is a 4-5 week job that could turn into full time if they choose to hire Scott, He is working for Trane, Delbert works for them but out of Prescott Valley, If Scott is hired there is the possibility that we could be moving up to Prescott Valley, ain't no complaints from here on the move if it happens!!!!) So we were on our way to the Gila Valley. We got stopped right out of Globe because they were blasting the road, we think to make it bigger, and what a sight all of the rocks were on the side of the highway. We also ran into the problem of having to share the roadway with hundreds if not a gazillion motorcycles. We stopped in Globe and ate lunch at KFC, I was informed that we could not eat anything Mexican foodish because that is what we would be eating all weekend while in Thatcher. We made it to Thatcher around 2ish and picked Kayla up. We chatted with her for about half and hour and then dropped her off so that she could get back to her big important college life, and not to have to sit with us old married people (just kidding Kayla) .
We made it over to the church (where the party was being held) and helped out as much as we could to get all of the food ready for the party (Taco Salads= Mexican Food) Shannon had decorated the church beautifully, The above picture of my Grandmother is from when she was a senior in high school, I think. The plan was for all of us to be at the church by 6 pm and then my Aunt Marilyn would bring my grandmother to the church to pick shannon up from decorating for a wedding. We all had to be quiet (a real challenge when you get all of us together, some of us are more loud than others, but that makes for more fun), my Grandmother was needless to say very surprised and very moved to tears. I saw her and just cried because she was so happy and we all did a great job of keeping the party a secret!
We all sat down and ate dinner and chit chatted and watched all of the kids eat the M & M's off of the tables and the amazing paradise bakery cookies (they came from nowhere as if they were growing from the ground, we had so many left over). We were able to meet for the first time since her birth my cousin Melinda's daughter Sara Lynn. She is so beautiful, and we got to see all of the other great grandkids on the Layton side. They are all hams, I cannot believe how grown up Abby is becoming.
After dinner there were games to be played, hi-larious, when you get all of us playing games, it is almost slap happyish. We played make a mummy out of toilet paper, then an awesome game where we split up into teams and had to find the item that was told to us, but we could only use our purses, wallets, and what was on us, and then we had to run to the front and ring a bell. The above picture was a fun game to play, it was called ape,man,woman (like rock, paper, and scissors) You had to act out the symbols. Scott and my brother Scott competed together. My Scott lost, unfortunately.
What a beautiful family we make. Saturday was windy, windy, windy. We all went our seperate ways for lunch. Six of us ended up at the one place that you must attend (in my book) El Charro= Mexican Food, again. The entire family ended up at my aunts playing games until Priesthood session, then most of the men left and went to that, My poor brother was left behind, my Aunt Lori was headed out on an errand and offered to take him, he made sure that he was by Delbert's brand new truck when priesthood session ended. The men came back and we ate Mexican food again. When Scott and I get around the entire Layton side we feel right at home because, it is loud, children everywhere, talking, games, good food, did I mention the noise level. It is like we are at Scott's mom's house. We made our way back down to the valley, we cannot wait for the 24th of July when we hope that we can go back to Thatcher for their festivities.

2 comments:

Ryan and Shannon Rapier said...

I am soooo glad you came! Thank you. Grandmother still talks about the party. I can't wait for the 24th of July either. Scott and I have a date with Trains...come and get me, Scott!
Shannon

Bret and Kayla said...

it's ok Jodi, Thatcher life is grand... now only if them boys would start asken me out! lol